oven and hob installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am installing a double oven ( 4.2 kW ) and a ceramic hob ( 6.5 kW ) in my kitchen. I have a 45A supply on 10mm cable in the kitchen and want to know whether I can connect the two units on this supply through a single cooker switch and a dual connector unit using 6mm cable from the connector to each appliance. Both appliances are within 2m of the connector.

thanks

Sponsored Links
6mm cable is not rated at 45A and there is no built in fuse or MCB in the hob or oven so simple answer is no.

I realise many do but 6mm is on the edge and it would depend on type thermal setting cable may be rated over 45A when rated at 90°C but at 60°C only 39A. So it depends on what 6mm cable and how installed. Many just cross their figures and hope nothing goes wrong.

In the main the expected supply for any cooking appliance is 32A and at 32A one can rest assured with most appliances they will work. With my standalone cooker the rating is some where near 60A with everything on but recommended supply is still 32A.

I really don't understand why people fit 45A MCB's for the kitchen I understand the 10mm cable but standard size is 32A and once you split oven and hob then 2 x 32A is more appropriate. I think the idea is a FCU feeding oven and 10 mm feeding hob but you can't buy a FCU over 13A so once you exceed 3kW there is a problem.

Although using commercial size ovens or EU ovens you could fit a mini consumer unit in kitchen they don't look the part in a domestic kitchen.

6mm cable is not rated at 45A
It doesn't have to be, unless the nature of the circuit is such that it cannot be overloaded, and it is adequately protected against fault currents.

Can the oven overload a 6mm² cable? No.

Can the hob overload a 6mm² cable? No.

Will a 45A MCB adequately protect a 6mm² cable from fault currents? Yes.

and there is no built in fuse or MCB in the hob or oven
Doesn't need to be.

so simple answer is no.
The simple answer is yes.

Hi,
I am installing a double oven ( 4.2 kW ) and a ceramic hob ( 6.5 kW ) in my kitchen. I have a 45A supply on 10mm cable in the kitchen and want to know whether I can connect the two units on this supply through a single cooker switch and a dual connector unit using 6mm cable from the connector to each appliance. Both appliances are within 2m of the connector.

thanks

Yes no problem at all with this plan.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back