oven cable to short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just got a new built in oven and found the cable fron the oven to the "cooker" junction box is too small. is it advisable to extend the cable using another piece with a connector so it reaches? I know replacing the entire cable would be more advisable but i dont want to invalidate the warranty that came with the oven . If did this what type of connector would be best to use?

Sponsored Links
When you say cable, do you mean 13amp plug & cable.
Cookers do not come fitted with cables.

no its just a oven came with a flex cable already on it :?: is 220-240v fan oven .

Sponsored Links
May well be a SMEG then, experienced a similar situation recently myself (one of those won't take my five minutes on the way home jobs :rolleyes: )

The leads on the back of those things are mad, about 450mm of black round flex, a ball ache even if the outlet is right behind the cooker, however the kitchen had been refitted but the cooker outlet hadn't been moved (we all love kitchen fitters dont we people ;) ) the only access to the outlet was through a hole in the back of a unit that may as well have been cut with a chainsaw!

Wiring a new lead into the back of the cooker looked like a bit of a job (warranty concerns also) so my solution was to run a lenth of 6mm T&E in conduit from the old outlet to a second surface mount back box (luckily there was room in this case) with a new outlet.

And thats how a 5 minute job turns into a 1 hour job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back