Oven in under stairs cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I wondered if anyone can help us. We intend to do up our kitchen. We have a awkward small kitchen, the building was built in the 70's. We have a pantry and a under stairs cupboard accessible from the kitchen. We would like to have a fitted oven by buying a oven stand from say Ikea and fit a new oven in it and place the whole unit in the under stairs cupboard rather than having another free standing oven.

Our worry is would this be safe and allowed? The wall to the under stairs cupboard on one side is the garage wall. So would it be ok to have a vented brick to vent the steam/heat out to the garage. Or if there is a gap in the top of the cupboard would this be enough for venting steam and heat out in terms of safety and issues with condensation??

Are there regulations on this, I read somewhere that an electric oven just uses the air already in the oven to circulate and then just vents out the steam and so the steam just needs to go somewhere, which is where you need to watch for condensation.

We would love to do this because we want an oven at this height rather than have to bend down to open the oven door.

Any advice guidance would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Rob

Sponsored Links
I think the main concern would be a potential fire hazard beneath the stairs, so you will more than likely need make sure the stairs are protected from the spread of fire.

Would be better to make use of the space for dry storage to free up room in kitchen for oven.

Sponsored Links
We have a pantry and a under stairs cupboard accessible from the kitchen. We would like to have a fitted oven by buying a oven stand from say Ikea and fit a new oven in it and place the whole unit in the under stairs cupboard rather than having another free standing oven.

Does this mean you intend to fit the oven in a fully assembled oven housing unit which will be placed inside the pantry with the pantry door removed?

If so, then I don't see a major issue as this would be just the same as the unit being fitted to a wall in the normal fashion.*
If the unit is to be modified or adapted then there could be an issue, or if the wooden stairs are 'open' it may be wise to plasterboard over them before installing the unit.

Most, if not all, modern ovens don't need to be vented outside either as they are sealed units which vent air and steam back into the kitchen. This would only cause a problem if you are intending to keep the oven closed in behind a 'pantry' door.

*I'm assuming you are intending to remove the pantry door and frame around the opening, so that the oven effectively looks like it is built-in, but if not, could this be an option for you?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back