oven not working! Experts, please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Whirlpool oven, type FCSM6, and it has suddenly stopped working.

There is nothing working apart from the hob.

The oven doesn't turn on, nor does the LED display show anything…

If it worth anything, mu partner left it on the part of the dial that is a short, straight line, instead of the usual off bit (hardly technical speak I know). Not sure what this has done (unless a coincidence).

Things I have tried. Flicking the fuse box for the switch off and back on.
Turned the red button on the wall next to the oven off for a while and turned back on.
Simultaneous pressed the middle button and turned the dial to the different settings.

It is completely dead! Can anyone help please? Many thanks for your time.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sounds like circuit board problem!
But try turning off power to the appliance, then leaving for 10-15mins then turn back on, first, it may reset.

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I turned the red switch next to the oven off and then back on after 30 mins.

I will flick the fuse for the oven in the fuse box to make sure the power is off for 30 mins for sure.

Thanks again.

If it is the board is that a big/expensive fix?

As that is a single oven, it is likely to be connected via a plug or FCU behind the oven. The lack of power could just be a blown fuse.

Sponsored Links
As that is a single oven, it is likely to be connected via a plug or FCU behind the oven. The lack of power could just be a blown fuse.

Thanks - excuse my ignorance, but is an FCU likely to be a plastic plate with a biggish red switch on it? If so, is it likely to have a fuse? If it is this, would the electric hob not be working (as it does work)?

Thanks - excuse my ignorance, but is an FCU likely to be a plastic plate with a biggish red switch on it?
No, that's just a switch.

If so, is it likely to have a fuse?
No.

If it is this, would the electric hob not be working (as it does work)?
If it was that - no it wouldn't be, but it's not.

Look for one of these, it could also have a switch, it could be behind the oven.

Fused Connection Unit
854.jpg

Hi, thanks again for the replies.

the oven is a built in thing.

The switch behind the oven, if switched, turns the hob on and off. there is no FCU like the one you have shown in your post

Other appliances like the fridge and washing machine do have these, but the oven doesn't.

Does the oven and hob switch on/off from a different isolation switch?
If so, do you by any chance have or able to get hold of a voltage indicator, to prove there is voltage going to the appliance, it could be that you have a loose or damage connection, either cable or switch/isolator!

Does the oven and hob switch on/off from a different isolation switch?
If so, do you by any chance have or able to get hold of a voltage indicator, to prove there is voltage going to the appliance, it could be that you have a loose or damage connection, either cable or switch/isolator!

Think it is the same switch as there is nothing else near it.

Has anyone got any ideas before I have to call someone out to look at it?

You need to confirm voltage to the appliance, once that has been proven or disproved, then you will know if it is a circuit fault or an appliance problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back