oven not working properly!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a whirlpool oven not too sure which one it is but about 5 years old and in white and recently the fan oven setting is not working... basically the light turns on when fan oven is selected and you can set the temperature but it does'nt warm up and the fan does'nt come on. however when the fan grill setting is selected it works absolutely fine and the fan turns on. could you tell me what i need to do/ buy to fix the problem?
many thanks, Jon

Sponsored Links
I've had a look and the model number is Whirlpool AKZ446/WH. 2.3kW. Also I've had a decent look at it now and noticed that the grill has a separate fan which all seems to work fine and the grill element heats up properly. When I switch to fan oven setting, the light inside comes on as normal and I can select the temperature setting but that's all. Nothing else happens, the oven element doesn't heat up and the oven fan doesn't come on! I've pulled the oven out and checked all wire connections and they're like new and are clean and in place and I've checked the fan which spins smoothly and freely and the element is clean and in good condition.... I'm struggling to find out what the problem is, could this be a faulty thermostat or could there be something wrong with the control board? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks, Jon
[/youtube]

I suspect the oven fan/element assy is faulty, could be the t/stat.

What do you mean the element is Ok ? a blown element may have no visible fault, have you tested continuity thru it.

Sponsored Links
Ok no I haven't checked continuity thru it but will have to try and do that when I get home! If there is no continuity going thru the element could that stop the fan from coming on?

The grill fan is only for cooling the controls.
The oven fan will usualy work if the element has gone.
I would be looking at timer on auto or t/stat

I see what u mean about the fan above the grill element. There's 2 grill settings on this oven, one is just a grill symbol and the other is a grill symbol with a fan beneath it (the same fan symbol as shown on the fan oven setting). The fan above the grill element will come on when both of these grill settings are selected so I'm assuming, as u said, its to cool the controls, however I'm guessing the grill setting with fan beneath is meant to be the oven fan turning on as well as the grill element and the cooling fan! I'm 95% sure that its not the auto timer as I have already spent quite a while fiddling with it and I'm able to set the timer etc. But I will download a manual tonight to make sure of it... So saying all this do u reckon it could be the thermostat? and where is it in the oven? And can a novice replace this? Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back