Oven tripping rcd.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title,I have a double oven,the lower fan oven trips the rcd,I've replaced the element,still the same fault,although the element I used for replacement had been in the garage for about two yrs,they don't have a shelf life do they?

I can turn the oven on to just the first setting which is just the light but when I turn it up to call for heat with in 5 to 10 secs it trips.

Oven is a Hotpoint DY46X.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
As per title,I have a double oven,the lower fan oven trips the rcd,I've replaced the element,still the same fault,although the element I used for replacement had been in the garage for about two yrs,they don't have a shelf life do they?
Not a 'shelf life' as such, as far as I know, but if it's been in a garage for two years, moisture may well have got into it, in which case the trips would probably stop if you could dry it out. The ideal would be to remove the new element and 'cook' it for a bit in some other oven, if you have one, otherwise by some other method.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the reply,I can use the top oven,so will try that.

Sponsored Links
Not a 'shelf life' as such, as far as I know, but if it's been in a garage for two years, moisture may well have got into it, in which case the trips would probably stop if you could dry it out. The ideal would be to remove the new element and 'cook' it for a bit in some other oven, if you have one, otherwise by some other method.

Kind Regards, John
I tried that to no avail,so am waiting on a delivery of a new one.

You sure it's not tripping when the fan cuts in. I doubt a new unused element gives the same fault as the existing.

Dis-prove the switch by disconnecting (and isolating) the wires at the fan, and see if it still trips. I had similar occasional 'oven trips' which turned out to be wires needing extra insulating.

You sure it's not tripping when the fan cuts in. I doubt a new unused element gives the same fault as the existing.
Hi Tony long time no see,yep definitely the element,new one arrived this morning and fitted,heated the oven up to temp and no trip.
Thanks to all.

I had the same issue with an oven, switched it off at the mains and stuck a fan heater in it for 1/2 hour sorted !

Regards,

DS

Hi Tony long time no see,yep definitely the element,new one arrived this morning and fitted,heated the oven up to temp and no trip.
Thanks to all.

Well I honestly didn't expect that to be the cause Barrie.

Anyway I'm good thanks. And you, did you get sorted alright?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back