Oven wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I guess this is pretty straight forward but I was just interested in a second opinion before I did anything.

There are a few bits of quirky wiring in my home (e.g. a downstairs socket running off the upstairs socket ring main!) but the thing I want to tackle is the oven. The consumer unit is quite modern and there is clearly a specific oven radial circuit running from the unit. This terminates at a switched unit by the cooker. The cooker is running off the downstairs socket ring main (!!) and trips out on a regular basis. I intend to find out why the radial circuit hasn't been used, the only logical answer I can think of is that someone forgot/couldn't be bothered to wire it up from the switched unit and then tiled the wall and decided rather than sort the problem they would bodge it.

My questions: how dangerous is this, should I be sorting it urgently or have I got some time? Is there another reason why they would have run the oven off the ring main?

Any thoughts or comments, particulalry on the legality of either of the quirks I have mentioned would be appreciated.

Ian

Sponsored Links
The mcb is doing its job, not allowing to much current to be drawn so it would damage the cable by tripping, using the oven is obviously overloading the circuit but assuming the MCB is rated correctly for the cable I wouldn't say its dangerous, might be a little inconvenient. Maybe something for you to investigate further over the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back