over rafter insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm about to embark on an expensive journey into roof insulation, if anyone has experience relevant to the following scenario, I will be really appreciative.

I have an c1806 watermill which has two unconverted floors and an uninsulated roof so it acts like a heat chimney, hence the roof insulation issue. I have decided to go with over rafting insulation because the roof needs to be re-laid entirely anyway. My questions are based using multifoils for this purpose, such as Trioso Super 10, and to insulate between the two floors with Thermafleece or similar e-friendly stuff. This will get us closer to a decent overall U value. (If you are wondering why I'm not considering under rafter insulation it is because there are nice sarking boards, oak rafters and purlins which I want to keep exposed, it will keep the conservation dept. happy too).

So, here are the questions. What is the absolute minimum that I can raise the line of the roof to? Some say that I will need an air gap plus battens as well as the insulation which may raise the roof by 100mm, others say that I don't need a gap so the difference will be minimal. Does any one have a view on the product, the application and the roof height issue. (Obviously I want to change as little as possible).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are you converting this property if so then BC will be involved.
From personal experience my BC will not accept Trioso and insist on PIR silver backed sandwiched foam Celotex/Kingspan etc.

Ideally you need a 50mm ventalation gap betwen insulation and sark/underfelt.

Where is your mill obv not in london sounds like a great project.
Converted a barn in france a few years back howvwer no probs whatsoever with planning or bc just a few drinks and meals for the mayor.
Pete

Thanks for that Pete

Since posting those questions we have discovered that over-rafting with insulation and a raised roof level will not get past the local conservation dept (understandably) and BC will not accept multifoils anyway as you say, so we are back to under-rafting. A u value of 2 or less is the usual target for a habitable space, but I am hoping to that BC will cut us some slack as its a listed building. Anyway, anything we add in terms of insulation will be better than none-which is where we are right now-(and its freezing).

We may investigate 75mm Thermafleece between 100mm rafters with a breather board/limeplaster or timber cladding over the top, but we are going to have to find a sensitive way to do it so as to preserve as much of the integrity of the inside of the roof as possible.

Any thoughts on the above much appreciated.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back