Overhang bit - refelting shed roof

C

Coniferman

Just noticed from inside the shed a circular wet patch in the centre of the roof. I guess it needs re-felting. Felt looks fine - no holes etc. Staples have been used where the two layers overlap.

Just wondering what I do where the felt overlaps the sides of the shed. Do I remove the existing pieces of wood here and put them back afterwards to secure the felt? Or do I batten over the existing structure - in which case how do I remove the existing felt?

I have one of these: (this particular one isn't mine!)

AP2_2-image-5.JPG

It is only 3 or 4 years old and was supposed to be decent quality :rolleyes:

Any suggestions other than re-felt? e.g. replace staples with clout nails? Additional glue if there isn't any?

Sponsored Links
the fascias will prise off easily. Take the old felt off. Go for garage grade felt, its about £12 a roll from places like homebase and is much thicker. If you want to have a belt and braces approach then use the adhesive over the roof as well. Lap it over by a good 6 inches at any joints. Use clout nails NOT staples. Dress it over the edges then replace the fascia to neaten it all up.

the fascias will prise off easily.

Just getting around to this. Is there an easy way to remove the fascias without risk of breaking them. There is one large nail in each corner and then a number of smaller ones. Is it just a case of prising with the 'other side' of a hammer and trying to ease? It feels like the wood would (!) break before the large nails move.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I'm just having to replace my shed felt too - the wind ripped it up and water quickly seeped in all over. It has finally started to dry out now.

As well as short clout nails I'm going to stick it down this time with blackjack or similar.

Any thoughts on clout nailing the felt over the fascias?

It seems they just will not budge - they are secured by a rediculous number of nails (some really big) on all four sides. I asked the Chichester based shed company if they had any suggestions but it seems they don't want to know. I did also mention that I thought it was a shame that they used staples at the join in the felt which rusted away causing water to get into the shed after just 2 years, despite the felt still being in perfect condition. I guess they didn't want to comment on that either.

which company was it? they shouldnt be using staples on the roof. Really would like to know the company so we can avoid their products!

WIth teh felt and the fascia, you can take it over the fascia and nail it onto it, which will look quite neat, or finish it off by placing another fascia over the top.

which company was it? they shouldnt be using staples on the roof. Really would like to know the company so we can avoid their products!

WIth teh felt and the fascia, you can take it over the fascia and nail it onto it, which will look quite neat, or finish it off by placing another fascia over the top.

Not sure if I can name names but the claim on their website "We pride ourselves in providing a superior product & efficient, friendly service our garden buildings are made to a high standard not to a price." (can be googled) seems a bit optimistic when they do not reply to a letter asking for suggestions on how to fix their product and don't return 'phone calls.

Thanks for the clarification on going over the fascia. I have seen a photo of one like this and didn't think it looked very good but would rather that than going over it. (or indeed destroying the existing one and replacing)

Not sure if I can name names but the claim on their website "We pride ourselves in providing a superior product & efficient, friendly service our garden buildings are made to a high standard not to a price."
And given that I know another dissatisfied customer, I reckon it's Elsfords Sheds.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back