Overheard in B&Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Middle-aged Man and Woman loitering near the £1 cardboard stand full of electrical stuff. Man is carrying a 4-way "value" extension lead, and a roll of "electrical tape".

I didnt catch what they were saying previous to this:

Woman: "Well that should do it, it says its electrical tape, it must have something in it that conducts the electricity".
Man didnt disagree and they headed to the checkouts.

God only knows what abomination they will create. :cry:

I wanted to direct him to this website, I so did.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Ah but was the woman dressed in B and Q uniform ?
:LOL: :LOL:

I didnt send him here because we learn from our mistakes :LOL:

Nah, its not my place is it. If I were a qualified sparkie, and was buying stuff for a job (only having to use B&Q cos its sunday) then maybe I would have piped up. But to save one DIYer from a potentially stupid mistake is but a drop in the ocean.

So is the description wrong? Should it be non electrical tape? I remember one guy using solder in a tube which smelt like airfix cement and wondering why it would not work. Yet you can get stuff in a bottle to repair heated windscreens so really he was not that far out with what he expected.

When I was at school boys did not do cooking and girls did not do loads that we did. So not really surprising to find women who don't have a clue. I know my mum was taught how to skin a rabbit in school I would not have a clue.

It is really a poor reflection on our educational system that people for years have left school with very little idea of how to complete some really simple tasks.

Have seen a few, was in a mobile phone shop and there was a foreign bloke who came in (possibly Indian) and was asking the sales person about connecting his laptop to the internet. He then pulled out a lead with 2 metal prongs and a single plastic prong in the centre. He also pulled out a shaver plug and wanted to know if he cut off the centre plastic prong if he plugged it together into the mains if it would work!!
The salesman didn't have a clue so I told him if he tried it that it would go bang and to go to the computer shop down the road and buy a new modem with UK lead.
Have also tried a number of times with people and cars to explain why you disconnect the negative of a battery first, some seem adamant that you must disconnect positive as that has the power on it!

I had a double helping within the space of 30 seconds in Sainbury's on Friday, albeit the second one wasn't 'electrical' as such, and the first one is pushing it a bit.

Number one:

Husband: "That's funny, electrical washing detergent, I've never seen that before"
Wife: "What are you on about?"
Husband: "The sign up there, it says electrical washing detergeant".
Wife: "No, it says 'Electrical | Washing Detergent', so you've got detergent up this end of the aile and electrical stuff up the other end"

Number two (husband only):

"Well I thought you weren't supposed to put the plastic thing in the washing machine, I thought it was just a measurer!".

:rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back