Oversize door opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to get an internal door fitted between the kitchen and hallway for my tenants. Ive never had a door fitted when I was living there as it's quite a large opening. The existing opening within the frame measures 1970mm X 965mm.

Looking for doors, there are none that fit the width.
Really stuck as what to do as I don't want the expense and disruption ripping out the existing frame would cause.

Ideally it would also be a bifold door.
My only thought (and this would probably get laughed out) was to buy two solid wood doors, get them cut down half the opening size and join them with hinges to make a DIY bi-fold door, then hang it. Would this work?

Any help is much appreciated

Sponsored Links
You could add lining to the existing reducing to take a 926mm door or narrower.You could have one made to measure.

Thanks for the reply. So you mean add a three sided frame within the frame? I thought about getting one made to measure but all of the bespoke websites I looked at, still didn't go up to the correct width. I'd ideally just like a moulded door, for the obvious saving on cost. Another problem, and probably one for another day is the top isn't conpleteky level but I guess that could be fixed by adding a liner and making it square

Sponsored Links
if you could buy 2 panel doors that fit then yes no problem in making them into bifold by just adding extra hinges in the middle,or buy a kit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back