Oversize door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My doorframe is not quite straight with a difference of almost 10 mm in the width but the door has been made ( or shaped ) to accommodate this .

But I would like to fit a new door which is about 12 mm wider!

Is there any easy ( or half easy ) way to widen the rebate?

Tony

Sponsored Links
you never alter the frame to suit a door unless its to make a standard size fit in the years to come but this is only internal
outside doors need a new frame really as shaving small amounts off its nearly impossible to get a strait line

having said that being a chippy[bench joiner] i have the tools and where with all to give it a crack dependant on visible frame
is it internal or external ??

The frame is not very special and its a front door but soon to be made semi internal when I add a patio style door on the outside.

My objective is primarily to make it fit on a relatively temporary basis until I can find some way to get an oak frame made up.

That's not so easy because the frame is about 300 mm wide on either side and about 500 mm high above the door.

Tony

Sponsored Links
if the door is just 12mm wider full length then trim each side by 6mm
you normally fit to hinge side first
but as the frame is going a router/rebate plane /circular saw /osccilating saw /hammer and chisel all dependson the room you have and tools you have

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back