P.C.Police...

Yes and no over inferiority complex.
I was half right then. (I wasn't being rude saying inferiority complex - those who are downtrodden and feel it)

**** was meant as derogatory and was very much used as in the 60's and 70's - from British media through to sitcoms. So yeah, quite right too we shouldn't use it and I am not sure if that's down to someone's thickness of skin and ability to shrug it off.
...but it is the name of their country. How can it be derogatory?

Has it become so because the thickos who used it in that way did not know the difference and used it to Indian people as well.
It would be derogatory to an Indian person; is that the reason?

If in America because its history and the use of Jap is still a no-no then fair enough.
Well maybe, is it because Japanese people don't call it Japan, do they? So is Nip viewed the same?

Trannie, well, if it's now offensive then it's offensive. Is it as simple as a shortened word? No, I don't think so. If it's meant as a derogatory term then it will carry weight for those it's targeted at.
I still don't accept it (or rather understand) especially when you consider what they do find acceptable LGBT.
What does the T stand for?

Did that make any sense? Am tired as hell today!
Partly - it is very complicated and doesn't rely on logic or common sense.

What did you think about the word Gerry? Short for Gerald, short for German, and with a J, badly built and a chamber pot.
It would seem rife for being derogatory but it isn't.
Is it because the Germans don't feel inferior?

Sponsored Links
The Germans don't call Germany Germany, do they? So it can't be that.

What about 'wally'? Did all Walters get banned? No. No point.

I've deduced the trouble is the banning, itself. Once a word is banned, that's it.

The words should be reclaimed and have the pride in them restored.

No Scot would ever consider being called such an insult or derogatory.

The fact that some thug is shouting that, while beating you up, is not the problem.

Unless 'tranny' does mean something dreadful in Australia, the T members of LGBT should just say "Yes, we're trannies".

Too knacked to cut and paste, so will just write in one go if ok!

**** - I guess this was originally generated from the word Pakistan, but it wasn't just Pakistani's as you mentioned, it was for more places, not only including India if memory serves me right? Correct me if am wrong. But I don't think it was just an innocent shortening by thicko's - I think it was used as a racist and derogatory term from the start. No idea if it's still a derogatory term to Indian people, I guess you need to ask people on the receiving end! I don't think I've heard the term used in many years now.

Nip, no idea. Another word I've not heard in yonks - didn't discuss it with my American pal. I suppose again with all these words if they are used in a way to offend on purpose then it's not a good word to use?

Transgender isn't it? I guess you already knew that tho!! Yes, I agree, trannie seems to be the less of the evils that are out there in the world and like yourself I had no idea that it was now offensive. There is more awareness over sexuality based hate crimes now so maybe it's off the back of that? Things change, people are deffo more offended these days over little things, but who am I to say these things are little to those on the blunt end? I don't know why it's now offensive but if people are told it now is then I guess that's what we have to listen to.

Gerry, you're right, never seems to be offensive. Was it more slang, a nickname than derogatory meaning? Just we used to be called roast beef by the French? Guess it's two-fold - the intent behind the word and the person's reaction upon receiving it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I still find it difficult to accept that 'tranny' is offensive and worthy of such a grovelling apology.
It is because this was a media outlet, and the media is obsessed with their reputation on social media. You may not be aware, but there is currently a sinister 'social justice' movement sweeping social media -epsecially twitter. It is obsessed with identity politics: victimhood, minority labelling and language policing. In the opression olympics, transgenders* rank very highly; it's a really hot topic. If you are seen to harass them in even the most trivial or accidental way, it is instant social media suicide that will be widely reported by the liberal press (who get their op ed pieces from Twitter these days). Hence the gushing apology.

*The 'progressive' term for a form of mental illness: body dysphoria.

Last edited:
**** - I guess this was originally generated from the word Pakistan, but it wasn't just Pakistani's as you mentioned, it was for more places, not only including India if memory serves me right? Correct me if am wrong. But I don't think it was just an innocent shortening by thicko's - I think it was used as a racist and derogatory term from the start. No idea if it's still a derogatory term to Indian people, I guess you need to ask people on the receiving end! I don't think I've heard the term used in many years now.
The thickos went ****-bashing - obviously that was racist - but they were so thick they didn't realise there was a difference between Pakistani people and others who looked similar.
Therefore it was only a racist term because the ones using it were so stupid -
but I will keep saying - it is no different than shouting "Scot, Scot, Scot".

Indians would likely be offended because India and Pakistan don't get on.

Nip, no idea. Another word I've not heard in yonks - didn't discuss it with my American pal. I suppose again with all these words if they are used in a way to offend on purpose then it's not a good word to use?
It is, though, not the word that needs banning. They'll only choose another word.

Transgender isn't it? I guess you already knew that tho!! Yes, I agree, trannie seems to be the less of the evils that are out there in the world and like yourself I had no idea that it was now offensive. There is more awareness over sexuality based hate crimes now so maybe it's off the back of that? Things change, people are deffo more offended these days over little things, but who am I to say these things are little to those on the blunt end? I don't know why it's now offensive but if people are told it now is then I guess that's what we have to listen to.
Oh no.
I think Gerry has hit the nail on the head.

Gerry, you're right, never seems to be offensive. Was it more slang, a nickname than derogatory meaning? Just we used to be called roast beef by the French? Guess it's two-fold - the intent behind the word and the person's reaction upon receiving it.
That's the point. We didn't care about being called roast beef.
Just start calling some roast pork and see the fuss but will they really be OFFENDED.

It is because this was a media outlet, and the media is obsessed with their reputation on social media. You may not be aware, but there is currently a sinister 'social justice' movement sweeping social media -epsecially twitter. It is obsessed with identity politics: victimhood, minority labelling and language policing. In the opression olympics, transgenders* rank very highly; it's a really hot topic. If you are seen to harass them in even the most trivial or accidental way, it is instant social media suicide that will be widely reported by the liberal press (who get their op ed pieces from Twitter these days). Hence the gushing apology.
*The 'progressive' term for a form of mental illness: body dysphoria.
Mmm. I do not have anything to do with twitter.

This from the recent link in another thread on P.C.
https://redgreenalliance.com/2016/02/11/political-correctness-the-postmodern-cult/

“The victim stance is a powerful one. The victim is always morally right, neither responsible nor accountable and forever entitled to sympathy.”

but I will keep saying - it is no different than shouting "Scot, Scot, Scot".
To you maybe and perhaps a few like-minded friends but the general understanding of the word is offensive. So to use it will generally mean you're being offensive surely?! What I find more interesting and I do it myself sometimes a bit is that I get offended on other people's behalf.

I know what you've been getting at but I still think that from my own perspective, my white arsed straight atheist perspective, as someone who's never offended by quips over my life, I can't say too much if people are upset. I don't know what it feels like or how it can wear a person down so I like to err on side of caution and just stop using words.

EFL, you may like this little sketch from one of my all-time fav stand up acts. Seen him three times now and he's just great. About 3.20 goes into the political correctness bit and it's ace. Hope you enjoy anyway :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the trouble when the wrong words are intentionally used to describe things.
It confuses the issue so that no one knows what is really being discussed.
I think your posts prove you are an homilaphilliac; it would indeed be sad were you also a kakorrhaphiophobic but perhaps I've used a wrong word so you don't know what I mean.

Apart from all that - my point is what on earth can possibly be wrong with 'tranny"; it's just an abbreviation?
It doesn't sound like or imply anything derogatory, does it?
Unless tranny means something of which I am unaware, it surely is a mad step too far.

I was half right then. (I wasn't being rude saying inferiority complex - those who are downtrodden and feel it)
...but it is the name of their country. How can it be derogatory?
I still don't accept it (or rather understand) ................
Partly - it is very complicated and doesn't rely on logic or common sense.
You seem to have a problem with quite a few words, disagreeing with the general acceptance of their meaning.
Perhaps you should confine yourself to speaking Elfi'ish and stop arguing for your interpretation of those English words. :whistle:

You seem to have a problem with quite a few words, disagreeing with the general acceptance of their meaning.
Perhaps you should confine yourself to speaking Elfi'ish and stop arguing for your interpretation of those English words. :whistle:
Way to go on the contribution Himmy!! Can't help yourself can you? Gotta try and have a dig at every opportunity.

I had a pm from one of the learned members here pointing out that the meaning of a word(s) is best left to the writer and not the reader:whistle:

My only problem is misuse due to ignorance and politically correct misuse for a definite aim - confusion and manipulation.

That cannot be denied and you do seem to employ both yourself; twisting people's posts and misusing words to demean them.

Perhaps you are semantiophobic.
It may not be long before himmy is an objectionable example - oops, too late.

Stop being such a cupboard.

Last edited:
My only problem is misuse due to ignorance and politically correct misuse for a definite aim - confusion and manipulation.

That cannot be denied and you do seem to employ both yourself; twisting people's posts and misusing words to demean them.
Yet you apply your own interpretation on words, that have generally accepted meanings, in order to argue that they are not offensive, or that you cannot understand why they are offensive, or they are only offensive because they're used in the wrong context.

It would appear that you are arguing that any words should not be perceived as offensive because you think they should not be!

It would appear that you are arguing that any words should not be perceived as offensive because you think they should not be!
Feel free to offer sensible arguments as to why such words are offensive.

How long before cupboard becomes offensive - you silly cupboard?

Feel free to offer sensible arguments as to why such words are offensive.
Because the people, that those type of remarks are aimed at, find them offensive.

If you wish to continue to use words directed at people, that find such words offensive, especially when you know those words are offensive, one can only assume that you are being intentionally offensive.

Sponsored Links
Back