Padding between oak floor and joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As mentioned in another post, I'm planning on laying a T&G oak floor over some recently exposed joists. Like many Victorian terraces, our house has pretty puny joists (6x2.5), so even with securely nailed boards, you tend to notice every footstep rattling every bit of furniture in the room.

Clearly, I'm not going to fix this completely without doing major work on the joists - which isn't going to happen. However, a friend who has recently laid a lot of oak floors said that he'd nailed padding (in the form of cut up carpet tiles!) between the joists and the boards to provide a little cushioning. Does anyone have any experience with doing something like this? Obviously I've seen underlays for floating floors, but I haven't seen people talking about it when attaching directly to joists. My main worry is that anything that has a genuine cushioning effect must be allowing movement, which is presumably a recipe for loose boards in the long run, no?

Thanks,

Lucian

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back