Paint brush for ogee skirting and architraves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a whole load of skirting to prime and then satinwood and was wondering if anyone can make a recommendation for a brush that I can use.
I want something reasonable but wont be doing much painting after I have completed this project.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I just used any cheap brush from the store. The important thing is the finish. Hard strokes first to get the paint on then quickly lightly stroke the wet paint with the brush and neatly reduce the brush strokes. You may need a cutting brush for edges or frogtape to mask.

Water based paints need a good quality synthetic brush, slightly dampening the bristles with water before applying any paint. Oil based paints can also be used with a synthetic bristle brush, although I have always preferred natural/china bristle brushes to achieve the best finish. Avoid natural bristles with water based trim finish paints.
Most 'decent' brushes will cost at least a fiver each, so avoid cheap multi-packs to achieve a better finish. The 'go to' brand within the trade is Purdy, but you can find cheaper that work well - just make sure the stock of the brush is pretty densely packed.

As for size, I generally use a 2" brush for skirting that is under 4" wide, and a 2½" or 3" brush for larger boards.

Sponsored Links
Its always tough to recommend a brush as its all about preference, I would say spend the most you can afford.

Like misterhelpful I to prefer to use natural bristle with oil based and cut the shape of.the brush to my needs, but for water based a synthetic brush is a must, I have recently got into using angled brushes and am finding them easier to cut in with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back