Paint coming off where plaster repair was done - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used Polycell Plaster repair to smooth off various areas on the walls after taking all wallpaper off. Nothing deep. 2-3 mm max. More wider areas. (for example some of the original base paint came off when stripping wallpaper, used to smooth off to give flat finish).

I washed all walls thoroughly with sugar soap. Infact it was the polycell decorators cleaner one (expensive, but its all I could get at the time). All the areas that paint is coming off is where I applied this plaster repair, everywhere else is looking fine.

I did this 4 days ago. It says 24 hours to dry, more if its deeper (which it is not). Is this product a piece of ****? Pretty ****ed.

I am using Homebase basecoat. The reason I am using basecoat, is because some of the walls are plaster, some have older basepaint and some of walls have the red plaster type stuff that was used around window (presumably when double glazing went in) and another random section right up middle of a wall (not sure why.. but it is lol) So i needed to get good base coat down.

Using roller to apply paint, when I go over an area which the plaster repair has been used a couple of times, all the paint comes off and on to the roller and then it makes it all a right pain in the arse. It is like the paint is not sticking to it or something. I dont know.

Pictures - sorry might be hard to see it is white walls after all..

Waiting for basecoat to dry out. Whats best plan of action here? I was thinking sand down the problem areas and reapply paint?

Help please!

Thanks !

Sponsored Links
This is a common problem. The dry filler is sucking the water out of the paint and the paint then doesn't stick. You need to water your paint down 50/50 and apply a few coats by brush so that it soaks in and hardens the filler. When it's hard to your nails - you can paint as normal. PVA watered down 1 part PVA 5 parts water will do the same job.

I was just thinking that. I have sanded the areas back where i put the filler. So I just need to water down and apply to these areas? Rest of the walls are fine.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Please don't use PVA before painting plastered/filled walls. The first coat (of paint) may adhere; subsequent ones will not.

Zinsser Gardz is a much better suggestion, or several thinned down coats of non-vinyl matt emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back