Paint kitchen cabinets BEFORE new tiles, or vice versa ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you can see, my kitchen tiles run beneath the cabinets and also between them, by the oven area. Plus they run along the sink area.. I have cleaned and prepped the cabinets ready for priming with Zinsser BIN

In a couple of weeks, I have a guy coming to take out the old tiles, put new subway ones in, and also at the same time, he will be taking the existing worktop out and putting in a new one.

2 weeks gives me ample time to prime and paint the cabinets. I am NOT taking the doors off - dodgy hinges on many and lack of indoor working space. I've researched it all thoroughly and have special artist brushes for hard to reach bits. But let's not get into that ok ;)

I have 3 options now :

(A) Get all this done BEFORE the guy comes - I would protect the cabinets with plastic sheeting and adhere with blue painter's tape, which comes off without leaving a mark on hard paint. Only potential issue here is if a tile flies off, knocks the side of the cabinet - it might nick it as plastic sheeting is thin

(B) Just do the primer - there may still be nicks from flying debris, but in this scenario they can be easily filled and primer touched up before satinwood goes on. Wait till he has finished to paint with satinwood

(C) Wait impatiently till he's been and gone and do all primer and painting then

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 282
Sponsored Links
You can do all of the painting before, and then protect the cabinets, but that is risky. The tiles shouldn't be much of a problem when it comes to causing damage, but sharp bits can still fly around and make a few marks. If doing it this way, I would use something more heavy duty than plastic sheets - cotton twill dust sheets will protect far better from any flying debris than thin plastic sheeting, but thick cardboard (unfolded boxes) would be even better. The biggest chance for bumps and knocks is likely to come from removing the old worktop and replacing with the new one - manoeuvring heavy counters can be tricky in small spaces, especially if the tiler is alone.

If I was doing it, I would probably prime and leave the topcoats until the other work was done. That said, I really wouldn't do it. (Bear in mind that B-I-N can be a nightmare to get a nice, even, finish with on these types of jobs). From experience, I know that those kind of doors don't look great when painted, the vinyl wrap on them will probably start to bubble/blister in places in a few years time and, if the hinges are already dodgy, the doors will probably start scraping each other pretty soon and damage the painted surface anyway.
I would wait for Q&B to have one of their 70% off sales on one of their kitchens and but all new doors/mouldings then. You would probably get the lot for £300-400 and not have all the hassle of painting. (I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but I'm just trying to give you some forewarning.)

Measure and count e doors you have, and then look up on diykitchens.com what it'd cost for a new set

They're generally the price that the sheds are when a 70% "sale" is on..

Sponsored Links
I am currently working for a client that just replaced the doors. The price was reasonable.

I refused to paint the existing doors. The only way to get a decent finish would have been to prep and spray them. It would have been more expensive and less durable.

Sorry, I appreciate that you probably don't want to hear that. BIN is a great product but as a professional cabinet painter, if I can't get a decent finish using it by hand, I doubt that you will be able to.

If you have to use BIN then get some isopropol alcohol to use as a thinners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back