Paint new plaster behind radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a room skimmed and now need to paint.
I know I need to apply a water/paint mix though does this also need to be applied behind the radiator?
The wall behind has been plastered but I am not too worried about what is behind.
Will the heat affect the plaster if I do not do this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The correct approach here would be to remove the rad and then apply a mistcoat, yet if you get yourself a 4" roller with a flexible shaft it is possible to cover the entire area without removal.

Dec

Ideally it should be done, if only to give an even finish for future decoration in the event of the radiator being moved. The method Dec suggests is the easiest way, but if it is not visible then I wouldn't worry too much, as although the paint offers a little heat resistance, it doesn't really offer that much protection from the constant heat of a radiator - even painted walls crack behind rads.

Being not visable is not the point, the fact remains that decoration is incomplete. In a situation such as this when someone tries to cut around a radiator to the best of their ability seldom works, and is not a practice that a Decorator should offer advice on.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Being not visable is not the point,

Never said it was. If you read my post, the very first thing it says is that it should be done.

The OP stated they were not worried about what was behind and asked a question about whether or not the plaster would be affected. I simply answered their query.

Well of course I read it I would'nt have offered a reply if I had not, yet the fact remains that the Decorating is incomplete and would be noticed as such from a number of angles.

Take as an example a hallway and to the right hand side a staircase, also picture doors that may lead into areas such as kitchens, lounge/dinning rooms and perhaps a downstairs toilet,and you are Decorating the area, so you dont paint the tops of the arcs because their not visible are they.

Well of course their not until you trundle down the stairs, tell me would they be visable then? if so Decoration is incomplete. A little ott perhaps just an example.

Dec

Or another example:

The radiator is situated under a window and has a windowsill overhanging it, thus completely hiding the area behind it. The only way to see it is by laying on the floor inbetween the TV and sideboard then cricking your neck to look up behind it just to see if it's visible.

I think the operative words here were:

...if it is not visible...

and another reminder that:

...it should be done...

Gem83,

Please take the radiator off and paint behind it so that Dec can sleep easily!

:rolleyes:

Not that it makes any difference but I have no memory of the the rad being situated near a window, and if so humans are taller than rads so any incomplete Decoration would be still visable.

Dec

That was indeed a stylish reply, with regard to wetting yourself I dont doubt if you have not done it yet you soon will.

Dec

Many radiator brackets fix too close to get behind anyway. I don't take my rads off when I paint my house. If the customer wants theirs painting behind then they can always take them off can't they? I don't paint the underneath of my floorboards either.

If it’s a suspended floor you can often get enough movement on the vertical pipes to lift the radiator off the brackets & swing it down to the floor, after cracking the radiator couplings; tighten the couplings until your ready to swing it back up.

Check the compression fittings on the rad valves have a good hold on the vertical pipes though & it pays to nip them up a little. I once had a heart stopping moment when I popped a radiator off a pipe doing this; luckily it went back on just as easily & didn’t create too much mess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back