Paint or Replace - fascias, soffits and guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved house and at the front of the house the soffits are an absolute state - paint peeling all over. The gutters front and rear are metal and in need of some serious work - the joins are all rusted and the paint peeled right off. Two of the joins leak heavily during rain. I would say the gutters definitely need replacing but not sure of best option with fascias and soffits.

Should I sand down and repaint - (there aren't any visible signs of rot but I'm no expert) and just replace the gutters or go for full uPVC?

This then leads on to the next question - how much would I be looking at for uPVC fitted (amateur DIY'er really so not sure I'm up to a job this size)

The property is a mid townhouse 8.5m wide. The fascia boards are 175mm and the soffits 225mm. There is a conservatory at the rear of the property that causes access issues (3m wide). Slate roof (not sure if that makes a difference)

Looking for rough idea of price for:
a) cladding both fascia and soffit and installing new guttering (two downpipes)
b) cladding fascia and replacing soffits with vented (if possible?) and installing new guttering
c) Replacement fascia, soffit and guttering

Could the job be done just with ladders/scaffold tower or would I need full scaffolding?

Thanks! :D

Sponsored Links
gutters sound as though they need renewed for sure. if they are hung with fascia brackets then it will be easier than rhone hooks which are attached to your roof and under the slates.

if the fascia board is sound then you could over clad with 9mm upvc (though this method has its detractors on this site) failing that it would be a strip out and full 18mm/22mm replacement.

access is easier using a tower scaffold though ladders can be used it makes the process more difficult bearing in mind the fascia boards come in 5m lengths and the gutter 4m lengths.

2 tower scaffolds and a youngmans board would be required to bridge your conny.

ball park between 2.5k and 3.5

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back