Paint over Vinyl Matt Emulsion on Cabinet Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
this weeknd, my girlfriend decided to pain our kitchen cabinet doors with white paint. Unfortunately she used the rest of the Leyland Viny Matt Emulsion I had bought when I repainted the walls.
She only put one coat.

What should I do ? Can I use this first coat as a primer and simply paint over with an acrylic one, or should I handsand the whole painted area before painting again ?
Or do I keep this paint, apply a second coat and then a top coat to make it more resistant..

thank you in advance..

Sponsored Links
What should you do? Forbid your girlfriend from doing any decorating ever again. She is clearly a liability.

yes that was some unfortunate decision.
I'm sure there's a way to rectify this, but I don't want to make it even worse..
any tips are really welcome as it's still "fresh".

thanks!

I would wash off as much of the emulsion as possible with very hot water, fairy liquid and a scrubbing brush. (Actually, I wouldn't. I'd get HER to do it).

Then, when dry, I would sand the doors down and apply a coat of Zinsser Bin (red tin) before proceeding to paint them properly with water based undercoat and then 2 coats of a water-based eggshell (such as Little Greene's), or a proprietary cupboard paint such as International.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
thank you!
there is no chance I can simply paint over this first coat I guess...

thank you!
there is no chance I can simply paint over this first coat I guess...

There is every chance that you could, if you were determined to do so. We can't stop you.

But the subsequent three layers of paint would be unlikely to adhere properly, it would look a mess and you would have wasted a lot of time, energy and money.

If what you are proposing would have worked, I would have advised you to do it. But I didn't. I have occasionally known decorators who have got away with using a small quantity of emulsion paint if they have run out of proper undercoat, on bits of woodwork which don't matter very much and will not be subject to much 'use'. But kitchen cabinets are very 'high use', they have probably had some kind of varnish or paint-based finish previously and all that needs sanding and sealing before you stand a chance of a professional looking finish with subsequent coats. Believe me - it's all in the prep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back