Painted around switches/sockets and it is a lighter colour

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
This is my first post and am looking for some advice. We painted our first house around 6 months ago, and then changed the sockets/light switches in the last couple of weeks. The new sockets are smaller than the originals so we filled any gaps where paint had been attached to the old sockets and have painted around the sockets with the same paint as was orginally on.

The problem is that every single socket/switch now has a 'halo' of lighter paint, even after more than one coat of paint. It was rolled with a mini roller so it is not a textural difference caused by using a brush where the rest of the wall has been rolled. There is a square of lighter paint around every single switch.

Why has this happened? It is Johnstons matt paint. Could the paint have changed that much in six months?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Have noticed this can happen with other makes of emulsion.

You'll have to wait a few months to see what happens, or repaint the walls.

Always, always, always loosen off the socket fronts before painting (turn the power off safely); and allow to dry fully before fixing them back. Otherwise damage may occur when doing electrical work.

Hi there

Thanks for the reply. Ironically, I was worried that the paint would be darker as it is additional layers of paint so it has been a complete shock that they are lighter. I hope as you say that they will blend in as currently they catch our eyes when you walk into a room. :confused:

We did loosen the sockets off and left them a long time to dry but thanks for the tip.

Sponsored Links
The day you apply any paint it starts ageing.
Having the sockets replaced after so long the only solution solving the problem is to re-coat all walls. It doesn`t matter what you use for touching up (brush, roller)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back