Painted door looks messy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I'm a complete novice to p & d. I've been using water-based Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood PBW to paint a couple of doors using a Purdy synthetic brush. The doors have a beading all round, about 2" from the edge. I sanded the doors and washed down afterwards.

After painting, the first door didn't look too bad but I've made a bit of a mess of the second one. I think the problem might have been that I went back over some areas that had run. So after two coats I sanded bits down and part of the skin came off and I had to sand further. I've now put another coat on but it still looks a messy finish - probably because I've been going back and 'feathering' (if that's the right term?) bits.

Someone's advised me that I should redo it using a rag roller but I've looked at a video on line where the bloke uses a foam roller, which looks to be about 9". If anyone can give any advice on this it would be welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi there.

Sounds to me like you've tried to lay the paint off, or feathering as you put it too long after the paint has been applied. This can cause tacky paint to look a bit of a mess.

What you need to do is keep a wet edge.

By the sounds of it your doors have a large flat surface area and a small amount of beading. Id suggest painting the beading with a brush then rolling the rest with a mini roller and then lay the paint off / feather with a brush. If you don't do this you will end up with a texture similar to orange peal.

Thanks for that. Yes, the doors are as you describe and I think you've identified what I've done wrong. Doing the beading and to the edge with a brush and then using a roller for the main bit sounds right. Thanks. I think it's a foam roller that I need to use(?)

A foam roller is best to put the paint on with, then lay it off with your Purdy synthetic brush.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back