Painting a high gloss radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I've recently brought a high gloss black radiator but am thinking of painting it a light Matt colour, anybody have any advice on what paint to use or avoid?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I only painted a radiator once. Used Dulux metal paint. I'm sure it cited radiators as a possible use but now when it heats up the cat basket tends to weld itself to the rad. Probably one to avoid :)

Preparation is the key. You will need to get rid of the high gloss to be successful. Depending on the radiator use fine grade sandpaper (say 240) or wire wool to get rid of the gloss finish. Wire wool can be useful if he contours of the radiator are complex. Be prepared to use several undercoats before embarking on the final finish as black will take some covering.

As for the quality of the final finish, that is entirely in your own hands as the last coat will reflect all the imperfections of the previous one.

It should go without saying, don't heat the radiator until the paint as properly dried out or cured

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back