painting a room after removing lining and wall paper advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am looking for some advice on how to go about painting a room which I have removed both paper lining and wall paper layers.

The next stage/s I think would be to wash and scrape the walls in an attempt to remove as much of the residual wall paper paste off as possible?

After that the is quite a bit of filling/sanding to do, and then the repainting.

As the walls stand, I have stripped off all of the paper, under the paper is green paint, which is patchy and some came away with the paper. The wall are (in my opinion) sound, (just quite a bit of perp. work required). I really do not want to have it relined, an easy option I know, but its not what I want, the house is 80+ years old, and I am not looking for a show house finish.

My questions are -

What is the best method to remove old paste, is it just water, water and fairy liquid, or should I use sugar soap or something like that?

I am a sparky, and do when necessary make good wall chases, and use 'easyfill' for finishing. It is easy'ish so sand but still takes some time. I have worked on sites where the decorators use some sort of filler which is I believe two part, and smells a bit like car body filler, what is is called? and is this easier to sand?

Any other tips would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
This is what we did:

Stripped the wallpaper.
Realised why it had been papered, and cried.
Used hot water with soda crystals (it was what we had), but just hot water would do - getting all the old paste good and wet.
Scraped off as much as possible using a wallpaper scraper (keep the angle shallow).
Washed it all down again.
Filled holes and sanded down.

The result was good, and there was some bloody long channels behind the paper for auxiliary light switches, which had just been papered over. I'd have used bonding plaster, but I had a load of 'deep hole' filler left from a cheap buy, so I used that, and then multifill for the last few mm.

I personally always leave the filler proud, and run an orbital sander over the area when dry. It takes about 5 seconds to make it flush, you don't have to spend time levelling it, and you don't need to worry about shrinkage.

Two part filler is something I've only used to patch up things like wood.

Exactly the same. Took ages to get the paste off, always felt sticky.
I used this http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-external-plaster-repair-6l/258841_BQ.prd, left over from skimming the bathroom.
It's lovely stuff to use and sands very easily. I know it is expensive but easier for an amateur. It seems to last very well in the tub, there is a little bit left in the bottom that has been there for 4 months, still fine. I found it shrank back in deep holes and needed another coat, but being ready mixed that is no problem.
B&Q's web page for this product has hopelessly muddled itself, makes no sense at all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back