Painting a Skim Coat too Early

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

I have left my skim coat of plaster to dry for a week and was sure it was ready to paint as it had turned pale pink. I have applied most of my mist coat today (80% Dulux Matt + 20% water) but have noticed that some small sections look a bit blotchy.

I'm presuming this means that the plaster under these patches is not completely dry.

If I leave it for another week or so will the plaster continue to dry underneath the mist coat or should I scrape the paint off these patches?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You'll probably be OK. Ideally you should have used a non-vinyl matt such as a contract matt emulsion, but it should still dry out in time.

If it doesn't dry out even after a few weeks it probably means that there is damp coming through from somewhere behind the new plaster - is it an outside wall?

So the darker coloured spots/patches are appearing on the inside walls as well as the outside ones?

Sponsored Links
Were the walls lined with sheets of plasterboard stuck to the walls before skimming, by any chance?

Do the patches look like they are drying out yet?

A mist coat doesn't always look perfectly even and some darker patches, which look like the paint hasn't covered properly, can be because the plaster has been over-polished. This will usually cover after a couple of topcoats, but you do need to ensure that it isn't damp plaster that is the root cause before applying your finish paint.

Any chance of a pic or two so we can see the problem better?

Hi Misterhelpful

It is all looking a lot better today, thanks. The patchy bits are much more even. To be on the safe side I'm going to leave the room as it is for the next 3 to 4 weeks before painting.

Thanks everyone for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back