Painting (asbestos) floor tiles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone done this please?
I have a bathroom and a hall that are next on the decorate list of her indoors:(.
Both have 6" x 6" tiles stuck in a double layer over timber floors, they have been tested and contain asbestos. The hall is carpeted and the bathroom has vinyl flooring, both to be renewed as part of tasks assigned to me:rolleyes:.

I intend to disturb the floor as little as possible, although removing wall tiles from the bathroom may chip the edges of the floor. The tiles are cracked in places and while still fixed they could start to come away with disturbance when decorating. I figured painting them with a floor paint will help to seal the cracks and stabilise them better, what do you suggest?

I know two part epoxy is often suggested but it seems overkill for a floor that will be covered.
My thoughts are floor paint, Zinsser 123 to prime and then another paint of some sort over that or PVA but I wonder if PVA will end up as a sticky mess that will stick to any floor covering I fit.

Sorry the post is a bit long thanks for reading to the end!;)

Sponsored Links
I assume that the asbestos used in the tiles is one of the "safer" asbestos types? Why not just cover them whilst working? You could just use scraps of plywood or even old carpet.

What kind of floor do you eventually intend to fit?

I would advise against PVA, it reactivates when it get wet, SBR might be a better (cheap) option.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/KA-SBR-Bond...ontent=sQUGbVrZ0|pcid|102693167092|pkw||pmt||

Yes it was Chrysotile White asbestos, generally considered less dangerous that blue or brown. Mind you I always feel it's a bit like saying an Indian Cobra is less dangerous than a Black Mamba snake!;).
Thanks for confirming my feeling about PVA the last thing I want is a sticky mess to deal with:eek:.
I'll look at SBR hadn't thought about it as I have never used it myself, I will also ring around a few floor paint manufacturers to see how they feel about using their product on thermoplastic tiles.
Thanks for your help(y)

PVA is often used inappropriately. It is great for things like preparing surfaces prior to plastering but shouldn't be used when, for example, priming walls prior to fitting tiles (SBR should be used).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back