Painting Bathroom Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and thanks to any repliers in advance :)

Okay, I am going to paint the tiles in my bathroom and as a first option, I've looked at the tile specific paints by International Paints, Ronseal and Dulux. Sadly, whilst up for the job, the colour range is hardly expansive and 'er indoors doesn't like any of them :cry:

So, I am now looking to prime the tiles using a suitable tile primer (I've seen one by International Paints) and need help with what type of top coat is best. I've been told (by both local DIY store and Dulux) that a Bathroom and Kitchen type of paint should not be used over primed tiles, because its water based and not strong enough. I have been advised to use a oil based gloss, satin or eggshell finish (and I can pick any of 1000's of colours).

My questions are :

1) Is the advice given above correct?
2) If so, will a satin oil based paint be up for the job in a bathroom (damp whilst being used and shower spray near the show)?
3) Why isn't Kitchen and Bathroom paint up for job if we are recommended to use it on (for example) Bathroom walls which are subject to damp etc?

Any help or advice much appreciated :)

Sponsored Links
After personal experience with painting tiles - I wouldn't really recommend it. At best you'll get 6 months out of it before bits start showing wear/damage with cleaning and you have to touch parts up.
But yeah, if you wanna do it go for it. Use the tile primer and definitely go for oil based paint top coat and apply both primer and top coat with a gloss roller.

tHERE ARE LOADS OF TILE PRIMERS OUT THERE..SOME BETTER THAN OTHERS.

aN A LOT DEPENDS ON THE SURFACE OF THE TILE TOO..

oN OF THE BETTER ONES IS dULUX uLTRA gRIP..ITS A TWO PACK PRIMER AND STICKS LIKE SH*T TO A BLANKET...(TECHNICAL JARGON)

mAKE SURE YOU WASH THEM DOWN FIRST AND AS gCOL SAY USE A FOAM GLOSSER ROLLER..

aND ID GO FOR A OIL BASED EGGSHELL

Oh...no!..phone the keyboard police theres been another victim of capslock

B*gger... :evil:

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
lol was sending my eyes funny that :eek:

Are you sure there isnt anything else that might be causing that :cool: .. ;)

I have painted tiles in the past, but was disappointed with the results. Remember also that any oil based paints will gradually deteriorate, then if she complains you will have the job to do again.

Have you considered some tile transfers? there are quite a lot about in DIY stores

When I was a nipper (sighs) working on pubs (back streets of Lozells) when we got to the bogs, we just dulled the tile glaze with wet/dry fine, cleaned em and two coats of thinned gloss. Cant tell you how they survived as they built a mosque on the last pub we did :eek:
But that used to be the norm in hospitals /schools circia the roaring 60s.

Ive often thought about wet an drying tiles..im sure it would work as mechanical abrabing like that is the best way of getting a key..painting them with a straight gloss always seemd to be what people did before these fancy grip primers hit the markets.

Nice job for apprentices...sanding down around the bogs in pub toilets! :mad:

Zampa said:
Nice job for apprentices...sanding down around the bogs in pub toilets! :mad:

Happy days :rolleyes: :LOL:

Ist pint of brown & mild was on the house evry dinner lol. Days b4 stella lol.

dont forget to sugar soap the area down ...too

I wouldnt really recommend painting tiles as in a few months ,they will be looking rough an shabby ...

confidentincompetent

pint of brown & mild ...used to be called a pint of mix ...lol :)

You never get a drink working in a pub...publicans are the tightest b*astards ive ever worked for..

3 weeks ago I had 140 dark brown tiles with light brown flowers on (circa 1978!)
You know...to match the then peachy bath and yellow flowered wallpaper!
My friends uncle lived here...its true!!

Last week when the bathroom was finally finished and I proudly showed it off....they were glossy white.
I have also put little silver swirls on the middle of the odd tile.(from Wilkinsons 1.99 for 6)
Fantastic.
I didnt tell anyone (not even landlord/lady) what I was doing.
Everyone assumed I had re-tiled prior to decorating!
I was well pleased but did tell them my proud secret in the end!
Unfortunately for me everyone loves it that much they want me to do theirs!! Even landlord/lady!!
The paint I used was International Tile Paint.

In my previous house I had black tiles which were taking over the bathroom.
About 3 years ago,not long after moving in that house I painted the odd one and the border (with Johnstones Tile Paint that time)
With four kids fighting and not being respectful to the bathroom they actually wore well.
Not one chip or scratch and believe me they have stuck many things to the tiles!! From bath toys to very sticky labels from shampoo/conditioner bottles etc!!
I moved 3 months ago and I am pleased to say they still looked like new!!

Remember that colour you really want now may be dated in a bit...but surely white is just white in any decade!!!!

Sharon x

PS...Sorry about the novel!!

I've used International tile paint before - it flakes off after a few months if you mess with it......i.e. cleaning with a brush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back