Painting emulsion on PVA'd plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had some plastering done and the plasterer has very neatly joined one ceiling skim to another. To make this easier he has painted the edge of the existing plaster with watered down PVA. My emulsion does not seem particularly interested in covering the PVA'd section.

Is there anything I can paint on first to help the emulsion? I assume that as the PVA will be soaked into the finish plaster then sanding will have little effect?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
PVA is a curse, plasterers love it I reckon they probably pour it on their cornflakes in the morning and bath in it!:eek::eek:

It is great for bonding new plaster and render but as you have discovered it's like painting teflon!

Best bet is sand lightly and apply a coat of Zinsser Bullseye 123, some people say use normal undercoat but I would stick to Zinsser it is designed for hard to stick to surfaces.

Oil based undercoat does work a treat for this if you're stuck for the good stuff mentioned above.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back