Painting joists in Cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought an old 1900 terraced back-to-back property in Leeds over the summer. I have had some of the joists in the cellar replaced due to wet rot, had a second airbrick installed and a fixed UPVC window installed with a small vent above it. As the property is a back to back mid terrace, all of the ventilation is on the front wall. However the joists that needed replaced were also at the front.

I would like to use the cellar a bit more and to make it more inviting, I'd like to paint the joists white. I know that the joists should be allowed to breathe, so would anyone be able to recommend a white paint suitable for this job?

I was also thinking about covering the brick walls in the cellar with tanking slurry and then painting. Would anyone recommend or have experience with this?

Sponsored Links
Any advice on this?

I am going to paint the cellar floor with Laylands trade floor paint but before I do this I want to paint the joists above.

I have tried looking for advice everywhere but either I read not to paint them or just to put on any old paint.

Is there a best paint to use? or is there a way of staining the wood to a light (preferably white) colour?

TheVictorian, thanks for that.

The paint link you sent looks good but very expensive, £60+ for 2.5L.. I imagine I will need 5L+ so will cost me much more than I was expecting

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Solignum architectural is a good choice, it's microporous and flexible and comes in white, get the solvent based one, it's an excellent product, Decorating Direct sell it for about £70 for 5 litres.

Forgot to add, as regards the walls I would use Zinsser watertite, no need to tank the walls if you use this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back