Painting Kitchen Unit Doors Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I am busy trying to plan out a job to paint some kitchen unit doors / sides. I think the doors are MDF but have a wood effect finish (quite smooth rather than grainy).

Just after some advice / confirmation that this is the right thing to do;

This is how I plan to carry out the work:

1. Remove all doors and hinges (each one will be marked up with masking tape so I know which unit they go back on to)
2. Remove Handles
3. Lay out doors on the floor on small raised blocks
4. Wash down doors with sugar soap
5. Apply one coat of quick drying primer to front and sides (with foam roller / brush for indented parts)
6. When dry apply primer to back of door
7. Light Sand
8. Apply 2 or 3 coats of Craig and Rose 1829 Acrylic Eggshell Paint to fronts and backs, light sand between coats
9. Apply same process / paint to ends of units, shelving etc so that colours match
10. Re attach doors / hinges
11. Attach new handles

Any comments or suggestions before I begin would be much appreciated as this seems to be a bit of a minefield!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
It all depends if the units are laminated or solid?

Probably laminated, if so i wouldn't use a QD primer. You have to remember that little if any of the paint is going to soak into the timber so you need a gripping primer. Plenty of choice including coverstain, bin, supergrip and the mythic.

Personally wouldn't use craig and rose and would also steer clear of water based as the finish could be ropey and dissapointing if using a brush, i'd choose a farrow and ball eggshell and get a close match made up in OB eggshell from Johnstones or dulux. The ideal is Farrow and Ball acrylic applied by spray.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back