Painting new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a ceiling skimmed and want to paint it.
I have some Homebase Value vinyl matt emulsion (brilliant white) left over from another job. Would a thinned down version of this be suitable as a first coat?

Sponsored Links
It should be okay as a mist coat providing you dilute it down by about 15-20%. Are there any instruction on the tin,? Some products do instruct you on how it can be used as a mist/primer coat.

You say that the ceiling has just been skimmed, if so you should allow around 14 days for it to dry before painting. You can use the vinyl matt as your mist coat yet make sure that the skim is dry before application.

Dec

Thanks for responses.
It says "Seal absorbent surfaces with a solution of one part water to 5 parts" of the paint.
Although the plastering took place only a few days ago it's already dried out to a nice bright pink colour. I'd like to do the painting at the weekend unless anybody tells me different!

Sponsored Links
My advice would be not to paint the ceiling, although it appears to be dry it's to soon to apply a paint system. This is even more important when you intend to mist using an emulsion with vinyl content.

Dec

I agree with TheDec, let the plaster fully dry prior to painting/priming.
If there is any moisture left in the plaster you will regret it, better safe than sorry, don't be fooled by the plaster looking bright pink, if you watch plaster dry, you will notice that the drying out areas go darker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back