Painting newly skimmed walls and ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Got the plasterer coming this week, he's skimming all the walls and ceilings in my halls stairs and landing.

How long do I have to leave them to dry etc before I paint them and do I have to do anything special with the paint to do so ?

Help appreciated

Sponsored Links
i would give the plaster a week or so before you paint it,dont forget your mist coat,matt emulsion watered down.or watered pva before you put your propper coat on.
i your thinking of wallpapering it wait for around six months befor papering

When the plaster takes on a light pink colour it will be obvioue when it is dry to paint. There is no need to wait to long before applying any paint.
I personally would not use PVA prior to painting as this will cause all sorts of problems and probably start to lift. There is no need to wait six months before papering. Once the walls are dry, prepped and sized paper can be hung.

When the plaster takes on a light pink colour it will be obvioue when it is dry to paint. There is no need to wait to long before applying any paint.
I personally would not use PVA prior to painting as this will cause all sorts of problems and probably start to lift. There is no need to wait six months before papering. Once the walls are dry, prepped and sized paper can be hung.

I agree, as its only a skim, just wait till its completely dry, whatever you do dont go down the PVA route.

If the plaster was bonded then skimmed, you would have to wait months for the plaster to dry out before you hung Vinyl paper, but as its skimmed,and as long as you size the walls, you can hang what you want.

Sponsored Links
what ever you do dont use pva

they wont take long to dry you will see them dry from dark brown and then light pink colour and all dark patches gone.

then thin first coat down Dulux TRADE paint can be thined down 25% so it can asorb

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back