Painting on new plaster

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone told me to get matt paint, mix with half water and paint the wall as a first layer.

Is this recommended? Is this a replacement for using a primer?

They told me the new plaster needs to soak in the paint.

+ How many coats will I need?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
OM2, good evening.

Conventional approach is a "mist" + 2

Meaning a Watered down 50/50 of Emulsion to water then, two coats of Emulsion

The above is in general the Industry standard.

Have a look at any of the Emulsion paint makers web sites and conversely have a look at what the Plaster makers say about decoration of new Plaster.

Ken.

OM2, good evening.

Conventional approach is a "mist" + 2

Meaning a Watered down 50/50 of Emulsion to water then, two coats of Emulsion

The above is in general the Industry standard.

Have a look at any of the Emulsion paint makers web sites and conversely have a look at what the Plaster makers say about decoration of new Plaster.

Ken.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/painting-on-new-plaster.476045/#ixzz4X5yhxReJ

• Thanks
Reactions: OM2
Sponsored Links
Don't take any advice from the plaster makers as they will have you putting all sorts on that may not be suitable, PVA being one of them. Listen to the decorators as we know best !!

Sorry about the duplicated post?

Must admit, I agree with Robbie uk, because, every software cost build up programmed I have ever used specifies mist +2, i have yet to see a cost build up software system that specifies PVC in place of a mist coat.

Many years ago i was told that the layer of watered down Emulsion applied to the new bare plaster or indeed Plasterboard allowed the removal of the applied wall paper, if paper was applied to un misted plaster it was [is] notoriously difficult to remove.

Likewise, a mist coat does two or three things, it highlights any imperfections in the plaster finish, allowing a more acceptable finish to be achieved, the high proportion of water satisfies the porosity of new plaster and allows the subsequent layers of Emulsion to be applied evenly without large areas or spots of bare or different appearance to the next applied paint finish.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back