Painting on newly skimmed walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok I can see this has been asked before and I struggling to find a definitive answer. I've just have my lounge skimmed (not fully plastered, just the skim coat). I’m going to be applying the mistcoats soon but does it matter what type of paint it is. I know it has to be matt but does vinyl or non vinyl make a difference. Some say it does, some say it doesn’t. I currently have 10l of cheapo homebase vinyl matt. It seemed pretty much all the paint was vinyl based anyway. There was one water based matt, should I get this one instead.

Sponsored Links
don't forget to let the paint down with a bit of water for the mist coat. depending on the paint thickness depends how much water you add. since its "homebase cheapo" it will most likely be quite thin so maybe about 10 - 15 percent will do.

Sponsored Links
Seeing as a mist coat is a thinned emulsion I would take that the op has already come to the conclusion that he as you say needs to "let it down with water"

Dec

probably stating the obvious but as this is a DIY forum thought it was worth mentioning as i have seen some DIYers apply straight from the tin for a mist. not everyone on this forum is in the trade so something that is obvious to a dec may not be obvious to a DIYer.

You are of course correct, not everyone on this forum is in the trade.

Dec

I currently have 10l of cheapo homebase vinyl matt. It seemed pretty much all the paint was vinyl based anyway. There was one water based matt, should I get this one instead.

No probs, I had the majority of my house skimmed out with plaster and used vinyl matt emulsion as a mist coat.

thedec
there are a lot of us (tradesmen) on this forum that impart our knowledge for DIYers who come across problems that stump them from time to time. this is what makes this forum a great place to come for advice. we just need to keep aware that as this is a DIY forum that a lot of op's won't be in the trade and sometimes obvious answers are required.

There are indeed a number of pro decs on this forum who would have both guided the op in the right direction, they would also have the wisdom to back up their inital advice based on their experience. Yet what they wouldn't want is for the op to be bombarded with emails when the op's question has already been answered.

Dec

you are quite right. the last 3 post's (including this one) have no relevance to the original post, as appropriate guidance has been given via experienced professionals.

thanks

Thanks for the replies. Job now done. Walls sanded at the weekend and 2 mist coats with about 25% water were applied. Obviously hard for me to tell if it’s done its job probably but did apply some dulux/crown testers the next day which seem to be sitting well on the wall. Although don’t know how long it would take for problems to occur if the mist coat wasn’t done correctly?

you've correctly thinned the paint for the mist coat so you should now be fine to paint with your finish coats. you shouldn't have any problems now.

You could have problems ajfinche, if you've splodged "testers" on your walls where they will be seen easily through your top coats - e.g. eye level or chimney breast.
I'm sick of folk daubing these things all around the place and then you can't cover them up after properly and they can be seen for years afterwards in certain lights.

Use pieces of card or lining paper to splodge on first or splodge and daub behind the settee or the garage, or the park.
Or better still...
Banksy's lounge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back