Painting on skimmed wall which had silk paint - will it be ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
o.k i should have read up before doing it.

Basically just skimmed a room, which had a horrible silk emulsion paint, couldn't take it off easily at all (would have been from 40 years ago if it makes a difference) I just did a couple of coats of pva prior to skimming.

I should have used Febond Blue Grit Plaster Bonding Agent or similar, or sanded / sugar soap

It's drying now, will this be ok, or is it going to go wrong when painting?

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
If it was to go wrong then the new paint wouldn't be the cause of the problem, use a breathable paint to be certain moisture won't get trapped in, that's all you can do for now then its a case of wait and see really.

many thanks, its still drying. the plaster skim is sound. Maybe worrying about nothing, I had visions of the skim peeling off when roller painting! Will stick to breathable paint, just needed a second opinion. I won't make the same mistake again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back