Painting on Wallpaper (Horror) Urgent Help Needed>>

EN4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I need urgent help :oops:

Today, I started painting over the wallpaper in our bedroom. I used a water based ceiling paint as an undercoat on one wall so far and it has started to bubble. :cry: Then I was going to put more expensive Laura Ashley paint on top.

Our walls are bad hence the need for painting them. I have stopped now, and left the other 3 walls.

What can i use as a base coat on the other 3 walls to stop the bubbling?

Can someone recommend me an exact product?

Thanks for any help you can give.

A very worried painter :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If its a paintable paper like a blown vinyl or anaglypta its bubbling up due to shoddy installation, it may settle to some extent once its dried out again but will probably look naff.

If its your normal patterned vinyl your not supposed to paint it and there isn't a product available that will stop bubbling, a gripping primer such as coverstain or bin would stick and take an emulsion but doesn't stop the bubbling problem.

If its a paintable paper like a blown vinyl or anaglypta its bubbling up due to shoddy installation, it may settle to some extent once its dried out again but will probably look naff.

If its your normal patterned vinyl your not supposed to paint it and there isn't a product available that will stop bubbling, a gripping primer such as coverstain or bin would stick and take an emulsion but doesn't stop the bubbling problem.

Hi, its just normal paper patterned paper, not marketed as paintable.. Yes you are right it has settled down a fair bit now so i might just do the other walls.

If i give a second coat to the troubled wall, so it now not bubble again, as it been coated once?

Cheers again

EN4

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back