Painting over glossed stone floor..??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks..

I have a concrete floor that I'd like to paint over with a hard wearing floor paint but the floor already has been previously painted with standard oil based gloss paint. The finish is very sound and clean with no peeling or flaking.

Can I just sand it lightly to cut the surface and paint over it with the floor paint or do I need to strip the whole thing back to the concrete which would be a real mess if not impossible to do!?

I'm worried that the presence of an oil based coat of gloss will create a softer membrane between the hard concrete floor and the new stone paint I wish to apply and result in a less durable finish?

Any advice would me greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
As you suggest, removing the existing gloss would be a nightmare task so I think all you can do is sand back as much as possible to remove the sheen from it. This will usually be good enough for most paints to adhere to but if your 'stone paint' is a product that needs to be applied directly to bare stone then you could be in trouble.

What is the product you have chosen?

Sponsored Links
I think I will be OK as I just read this on painting on stone and concrete surfaces:

"water based paints can be applied to surfaces previously painted in an oil based finish. However, surfaces painted in oil based paint require a minimum of two weeks drying time before water based paint is applied on top. "

http://www.farrow-ball.com/preparing-exterior-masonry/content/fcp-content

That's good news then. Will just sand and cut it before painting and find a water based stone floor paint.

"Painted concrete floors – clean and remove any surface debris, any areas that have peeled or blistered, rub down to achieve a good ‘key."

http://www.farrow-ball.com/interior-floors/content/fcp-content

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back