Painting over silicone

GTL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Does anyone know how to paint over silicone sealed windows. My job has just ended up mottled :cry:

Sponsored Links
You will need to apply an oil based undercoat that should cure it.

Dec.

Arghhh silicone happy joiners !!!! they never think of us painters when they are spreading the stuff everywhere. either take the advice of what the last poster said or caulk over the silicon run ur index finger across it to make a nice smooth neat finish and then u can paint over it with oil or water based paint.

I used oil paint on top of Sillicion before and it still all spreaded out into seprate little puddles of paint.

let me know how u get on though . (p.s decorators caulk is cheap as chips)

Joiners :eek: they aren`t joiners they`re window fitters and most couldn`t fit a french letter :rolleyes: Luckily they use silicone that doesn`t stick so I rip it all off and do a neat job with caulk and/or powdered filler. A plastic kitchen spatula is a good tool for poking off their mess

Sponsored Links
The technical term for this is sissing, it's a problem that appears all to frequently, yet I have to say that I have never come across the situation when an oil based u/c has ever failed.

The application of water based paints upon caulk can also cause the paint to siss, so an oil based u/c should always be applied first in order to counteract this problem.

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back