Painting panel doors advice required...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a hall with a lot (12) of large panel doors and woodwork, intricate cornicing etc. Because of the scale we got a few tradesmen round for quotes. We were generally unimpressed by them for various reasons. The most suitable guy (best of a bad bunch) seemed to say that the woodwork paint (its an old super smooth finish, not quite gloss - a good job done by someone skilled about 30 years ago) because it was in good condition wouldn't need any keying (?) and could be hit with an undercoat of the emulsion (??) that would be used on the walls.

Is there any reason why this idea is sensible? Surely both the lack of keying and the undercoat are going to give a finish that is going to come off at the slightest knock?

I am now considering just doing the job myself, so my next question is: is there a quick way of mechanically keying as opposed to the tedious job of sanding? Something like a nylon brush to fit on a drill which will make things easy?

Sponsored Links
thats what i thought.

what about my question though "is there a quick way of mechanically keying"?

I use a type of scourer sandpaper that looks like a thing you'd wash up with. It only takes a minute to do a door. Then I'd use an oil undercoat followed by an acrylic satin.

Sponsored Links
ok, in terms of undercoat sounds good - they seem to be water or oil based.

acylic satin though?

also, is there any advantage to using a trade version of either of these. is it more certainty of just being one coat of each with trade (i am covering a fawn/yellow existing paint finish)

It would be quicker to lightly sand by hand. And given that it was painted 30 yrs ago, it will probably have been painted with oil based paint. So use an oil undercoat - it will stick better.

Painter from Bath

sounds good.

was thinking of using leyland/johnstones trade for trims and walls but have read a few folk saying its poor. there is a dulux decorator centre nearby with gliddens - is that a good choice for all types (undercoat/satin/matt emulsion)? also, the contract emulsion in this brand is half the price - only suitable for the first coat and then a more vinyl matt finishing coat?

I don't want to spend a fortune as have about 25sqm of woodwork and 45sqm of walls/ceilings. suggestions for u/c, satinwood and matt emulsion??

Theres nothing wrong with Gliddens paint, its Basically Dulux for the American market. Using thier oil based undercoat will be fine.

Nothing wrong with Leyland/Johstones. Their main customer is the pro market - they wouldn't last a month if they weren't good. Their acrylic range is extremely good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back