painting plastic cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help me with some advice on painting exterior upvc cladding. it was done about 5 years ago using dulux weathershield upvc paint and now needs re-doing,but i cant seem to find this product anymore so wondered what i could use instead :D

Sponsored Links
If its already been done with UPVC paint and its not oming off or flaking then you could probably use normal undercoat and gloss. Having said that, UPVC does expand and contract so it would have to be oil based as water based paint would not move enough and probably flake off.

I painted a large area of south facing cladding on a bungalow last year with Dulux weathershield U/C & gloss..I was there again last month for another job and the paint still looked good, no flaking.
Preparation is the key (pun intended)

Sponsored Links
Yes, just a QUICK wipe with cellulose thinners ,to remove any traces of silicone residue, then a light rub with 100 grit red oxide paper to key the plastic , then a coat of Weathershield u/c then gloss...

Never used u/c on plastic myself. :) After a clean down and no abrade, I find one/two coats of solvent based gloss will give a nice smooth brushmark free finish that lasts for yrs. Similar to plastic pipes/ gutters.

I remember trying that upvc paint and dint finish the job with it, found gloss better all round. ;)

Yeah, that PVC paint is S****..
Come to think of it jondecs ,youre right, a (clean) plastic surface is as good as an undercoated surface..
Luckily I was on a day-rate for that job ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back