Painting putty - overlap to glass?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always overlapped paint onto the window glass slightly when painting putty. However, I recently heard that only the gloss coat should go onto the glass and not the primer nor the undercoat as they don't adhere. Anyone know if that is true? It's normal linseed oil putty and Dulux oil based trade paint.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
We've always overlapped the putty with both undercoat and gloss, it gives a neater finish and provides a seal against water getting behind the putty. I've never known this method not to stick to the glass, maybe acrylic primer/undercoat might not stick, but oil/solvent based undercoat and gloss should.

Both undercoat and gloss should go onto the window by a 16th of an inch. The gloss needs the undercoat to adhere and to seal the fine gap between the putty and the glass.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies, sounds like it was just a nasty rumour. Which is a relief as I'm about half through painting the house already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back