Painting Radiator & Treating Rust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of radiators that have the usual rust spots on the bottom that have lifted the paint. i have rubbed them down in those areas and removed any loose material and have a fairly smooth sanded surface. In the past I have treated these with red oxide paint and then over painted with a proprietary white radiator paint.

Is this a good method ?

I used to paint rads with gloss white but figured radiator paint is designed for rads and the heat. But I suspect it makes little difference and a good Dulux type white gloss will do just as well.

I would hope that using red oxide would prevent or at least delay any surface rust coming through.....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Pretty much do as you have in the past, only thing I do extra is to clean the rust off with some white vinegar, there are loads of different products for this but I find the vinegar does very well.

A big no from me as regards to the gloss, it will yellow pretty fast.

If you get good results with the way you normally do then stick to it.

Thanks. I have a big 5 litre bottle of white vinegar for limescale so I've already sanded to bare metal and cleaned the rust area with that and gave it a coat of Red Oxide paint on the bare metal. Its not much just areas at the bottom of the rad. I have read comments about rad paint that aren't great but I find it's OK and it does keep white for a fair while so as you say I'll do that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I have a big 5 litre bottle of white vinegar for limescale so I've already sanded to bare metal and cleaned the rust area with that and gave it a coat of Red Oxide paint on the bare metal. Its not much just areas at the bottom of the rad. I have read comments about rad paint that aren't great but I find it's OK and it does keep white for a fair while so as you say I'll do that.

I don't think there really is a perfect product for repainting them, could use water based satin but its hard to get a brilliant finish and its not as durable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back