Painting skirting and door frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just put new skirting and door frames around the house which I did a initial coat of Dulux undercoat which gives them a lovely matt white finish. I personally really like this finish and much prefer a matt finish rather then an egg shell or satin finish. So my question is can I leave the skirt and doorframes with two layers of undercoat paint or must I use a finishing paint?

Thanks in advance

Raj

Sponsored Links
when a client requests a matt finish on the woodwork i would use a water based enamel it would be more hard wearing than the undercoat and dries back super matt - its also a gift to apply, like painting on emulsion

Thanks for the advise. But sorry to ask a silly question can I buy the paint from Homebase and is it available from Dulux?

Thanks

Any other advise since I not able to find this type of paint?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should have applied a primer first.

Eggshell becomes eggshell over a period of weeks.

Matt finishes are a nightmare for doors - finger marks everywhere.

Satinwood is best even if it is a bit shiny.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply I have not touched the doors and they are wooden.

After a primer/under coat can I use matt emulsion on wood or does it need to be a gloss type of finish .i.e. egg shell or satin?

Thanks and sorry to ask so many q's..

Please avoid emulsion on anything other than walls/ceilings, it will possibly stick with a decent undercoat, but you'll always get big brush/roller marks and, like any of the matts will show up every bit of dirt. As for cleaning off sticky fnger marks etc you may be OK the first couple of times, but after that it will deteriorate and you'll be repainting every few months - basically it will look awful!

Personally I'd go for eggshell, very soft sheen, tough as it comes and designed for the job.

One other thing, before you put on your primer, go over all the knots with knotting compound to stop bleed-through.

I'd go along with all the above.

Id agree too..however if you really want a matt hardwaring finish then Dulux do a flat oil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back