Painting smooth red brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got some of these to paint at the front of my house around a doorway etc.
I have removed the old flaking paint but which product is most suitable for the job?
I was thinking of a smooth sandtex or weathershield in brick red but not sure about the adhesion straight on to the bricks.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Masonry paints will adhere to some smooth bricks and not others. If you want to use masonry paint then either of the ones you mention will be your best bet although my preference would be Sandtex.

Personally, for smooth red brick, I always used International Brick and Tile Paint, and it always adhered, but it was discontinued last year. :'(
I had to paint a pair of terraced houses last summer, with brick window and door surrounds, and the best match to it I could find was Wickes Brick and Tile Paint. It has virtually the same finish and consistency as the International one (although slightly brighter), dries quickly and covers perfectly in one coat. Up to now, it shows absolutely no signs of flaking or wear, so I would recommend it. The only thing you may not like is the fact that it is solvent based so, if you stop for 10 minutes, the brush becomes a bit sticky to use, but soon frees up again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back