Painting stair parts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new set of spindles newels and stair rails fitted. The Base rail and hand rail is bare pine. The newels are described as primed ready to paint.

What's the best way to get a nice smooth finish on the hand rails and the awkward parts between spindles? it feels too fiddly to get a smooth finish with a brush.

And despite the spindles claiming ready to paint they are very smooth and actually shiny. Brushing paint on is not going well. Should I sand them? if so how do I sand them?

I'm using satin white paint as a finish.

Sponsored Links
painting stairs is a pain and that's the bottom line, just have to go at it with a smaller brush that is all. Give everything a quick rub over with 150 grit paper, then prime all bare wood with primer, don't worry about getting too even a coat at this stage, when dry rub back with 250 grit paper two coats of undercoat, colour should be flat by now(light sand after each with the 250 grit again), then two coats of top coat, only needs a light sand with 400grit between coats if left for more than 24hrs between coats.
Even brushing and decent paint and brush is the answer to a smooth finish, my preference is to have the handrail and newel tops stained and varnished rather than painted. Next time get it all painted before assembly much easier, only really needs touch up then.

Agree with above (but I like the whole newel varnished)

When I built mine I primed and undercoated before fitting.

Reprainting, you can use a sheet of paper or scotchbrite type material and give each spindle a handjob to flatten/roughen them up then it is down to attention to detail

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. sounds like i need to invest in some good fine sandpaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back