painting walls after removing wallpaper, prep questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In my past house I've had good results using easi-fill after removing wallpaper when I wanted to just paint the walls.

Now my problem this time is in our new place I've removed the wallpaper in the living room but the walls are now a mixture of old paint, plaster board and a little bit of damaged plasterboard were the top part of the plasterboard paper has come off with the wallpaper leaving brown patches (not deep).

My overall plan is too seal the walls, easi-fill, sand, latex primer, then two coats of paint.

Now I'm unsure of what to use to first seal the walls before easi-filling. I've read about zinsser gardz which looks good but it's a little expensive (£33) at my local crown centre. What alternative are there if any to seal the walls, especially to seal the damged plaster board? Some kind of oil based primer?

I now it#s best to re-skim but I can't afford to get the walls re skimmed at present.

Anybody have any advise regards what to seal the walls with and if my plan sounds ok.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible for you to wash off the paste from the painted areas without damaging the plasterboard, the reason I ask is it is always better to remove as much as you can before you apply a sealer. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to Zinsser Dulux Trade Primer Sealer is an excellent product.

Dec

One thing I forgot to mention all you will need to seal the Easi Fill would be a thinned Matt Emulsion.

Dec

Yes I should be able to remove most of the old paste no problem. My worry was the bits of damaged plasterboard. Will a normal oil based primer seal it ok or should I just buy the gardz.

Sponsored Links
You won't encounter any problems using the Oil Based Primer sealer, they are designed for this type of work, amongst others of course good product.

Dec

One last question, if I decided to line the wall instead could I still need to seal the walls first and if so with what kind of product?

I'm guessing I will have to as I wouldn't want wall paper stuck directly onto plasterboard and bits of damaged plasterboard.

No you would'nt need to seal the walls, you will have to probably repair the damaged section of plasterboard then when this is done just brush a little of your wallpaper past over the area. Then you will be ok to hang your lining paper.

Dec

Forgot about this thread, thanks for replying again thedec.

In the end I got the room re skimmed. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back