Painting water stained ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this has been covered before, but I have had conflicting advice.

I have a brand new ceiling, recently plastered, not been painted yet.

Yesterday had water leak (has been fixed) that has created a few damp patches in my nice new plastered ceiling.

So I need to think about getting the painting done over those patches once they have dried out.

The plumber said to PVA the ceiling but I had heard there is problem with putting emulsion over that.

Other advice was to use Dulux stain block, or regular (oil based) primer. Whats best?

Grateful for your advice. Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links
Don't use PVA !!!

Let it dry, mist coat and see how that takes. If the leak was straight, clean water you may find the normal mist plus two top coats sorts it.

If it doesn't I'd suggest a stain block such as Zinsser.

Never listen to a plumber, joiner, plasterer, brickie or anyone else apart from a decorator regarding what paint to put on !!! Never use PVA near anything to be painted !!

Sponsored Links
Exactly why I came to ask those who really know. Thanks guys. Its all dried out now so mist coat goes on tomorrow!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back