paints.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reading the forums Im learning loads about paint... itys good to get lots of different viewpoints.

I have three items to paint that I am not 100% on.

1) a rad. Im thinking oil eggshell or a gloss.

2) A very steamy bathroom with poor ventilation. I am looking at acrylic eggshell for this. Is this a good idea?

3) a large wooden bannister. Originally I was going to gloss, but I am thinking more acrylic eggshell... plus I could use the paint for the bathroom.

Any advice appreciated and direction to whether I am on the right tracks... Im new to this decorating malarky!

Richie

Sponsored Links
Oil based eggshell on a radiator..sure why not...and it wont stand out as much as a glossed one.
Or ordinary gloss...but it might yellow a little quicker than E/S..you can either undecoat the radiator or just gloss it...the jury is still out here on whats best...

Arcylic eggshell in a bathroom is fine...or you could go for ainti mould paint.

Wooden handrail...hmmm...do you mean its unpainted, varnished or painted with gloss?

1/ On rads use Hammerite Radiator Shades as its Specially formulated to provide a heat resistant satin finish on water filled household radiators and pipes. It does'nt yellow in time as does oil based paints. http://www.hammerite.com/uk/products/ps_radiator_shades.html 2/ Yes, acrylic eggshell, though if there is a well used shower with poor ventilation then i am afraid that eventualy the water will eventualy pentrate ALL Acrylic/Water based paints, but only at miosture trapped areas (i.e. above window !) 3/ Acrylic Eggshell on a bannister is not an great idea as ALL Acrylic/Water based paints are not as durable as oil based.

zampa, the handrail is quite a large area and looks like it was originally painted in gloss. Its gone a horrid yellow. Its been sanded down and undercoated. I just dont like the gloss look. So maybe the eggshell. Is the dulux one the best? I couldnt see it in the shop.

Thnaks for your advices / confirmations!

Sponsored Links
Eggshell is fine...as for Dulux being the best..I dunno, and I dont want to spark a 'oh yes it is...oh no it isnt' response from all the other deckies on here...we all hae out favourites...most paints are ok...just keep away from the home brand stuff.

Yep, Dulux Trade is the best Oil Based Eggshell, Undercoat, Gloss, Satinwood Paint Maker on the market. Though there Brilliant White Oil Based Eggshell Needs two coats to cover over there Undercoat, the only downfall they have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back