Pan Tile Roof Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone may be able to advise....

I have a leak coming into my loft through a hole in the roof lining. The hole is very close to the bottom of the pitch, in the tight space between joists and hibs (hope this makes sense). I have had two builders to look at it with two different causes. One said it is the ridge tiles and they need rebidding with waterproofing in mortar. The other said it is not a leak but condensation. I asked if we did anything about the hole in the lining would this help but he said the roof lining is not a barrier against  water and would not help? The loft has one layer of 4" insulation and there are downlights near the hole/leak so could it be condensation? The whole lining does seem to have water droplets all over most of

I appreciate that it may be hard to advise being that you have not seen the problem but any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Gary

Sponsored Links

I have a leak coming into my loft through a hole in the roof lining. The hole is very close to the bottom of the pitch, in the tight space between joists and Eaves . I have had two builders to look at it with two different causes. One said it is the ridge tiles and they need rebidding with waterproofing in mortar. Gary

That one is the one to avoid :idea: I hope you realise Surrey is riddled with dodgy builders/roofers - keeps Dom Littlewood in a job :mrgreen:

The loft has one layer of 4" insulation and there are downlights near the hole/leak so could it be condensation? The whole lining does seem to have water droplets all over most of it

Gary

Condensation :idea: + lack of insulstion - you need another 6 inches . Most importantly - lack of ventilation across the roof :idea:

Hi Nige F,

Thanks for your advice, do you think its worth getting the rotten hole in the lining fixed?

Gary

Sponsored Links

I have a leak coming into my loft through a hole in the roof lining. The hole is very close to the bottom of the pitch, in the tight space between joists and Eaves . I have had two builders to look at it with two different causes. One said it is the ridge tiles and they need rebidding with waterproofing in mortar. Gary

That one is the one to avoid :idea: I hope you realise Surrey is riddled with dodgy builders/roofers - keeps Dom Littlewood in a job :mrgreen:

Ahem! lol

I`ll have you know my horse is not a pony - and my hat is 10 gallon . I was that masked man . Please feel free to offer sensible advice to the OP .

Hi Nige F,

Thanks for your advice, do you think its worth getting the rotten hole in the lining fixed?

Gary
Yes , and maybe increase the ventilation across the roof - Freddymercurystwin ( an imminently qualified bod ) has just posted some pics on another thread re. condensation in roof spaces ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back