pantry shelves help ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am planning on making some pantry shelves by putting batons along three walls and the shelves on top of the batons. I get the jist of this but the pantry is under the stairs and one of the walls is the sloping under the stairs. How should I fix batons to the sloping wall ? or should I use another method ? thanks

Sponsored Links
Fix a bevelled rip to the underside of the stairs (you may need to go full width to get a fix) and add the batten to that

Ther reason you may need to go full width is that the only places you can normally guarantee getting any sort of good fix is into the bottoms of the stair stringers

thanks for that , guess I need to use a stud detector to find a good fixing point.
Not really, if you read what I said the answer is in there. The stairs have strings either side (they are the bits the treads and risers are housed into) and you should fix to them. Going looking for studs beneath stairs is generally a pointless exercise in domestic properties because the underdrawings are often just fixed directly onto the stairs - into the bottoms of the strings......

Sponsored Links
Yeah I read it but i didnt know what the stringers were ! so i just guessed i had to find them.
thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back